Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Burke is a month old!

June 30, 2013
Dear Burke,

   You are our sweet blue-eyed baby boy, still! We are so in love with you. You brighten our day and keep us awake at night, but we wouldn't have it any other way. This past month has been a whirl-wind of emotions. You have been a little colicky in your first week of life, then you were admitted to the hospital your third week of life all the while mommy has been finishing up her last semester of nursing school and working 3-12 hours shifts. I am counting down the days till I get a few months off with you, and they are coming soon!

   On your second night home, you decided that your tummy hurt too bad and you cried straight from 9pm till 1am. I was trying everything to comfort you, but it would only last for about 10 minutes, then you were back to crying! It broke my heart. I researched and researched until I fell upon a few reasons. They included dairy in my diet, gas from sucking in too much air while eating and acid reflux. So, like the person I am, I made every possible modification that I could to alleviate your pain. This past month it seemed to have been a little better, at least you didn't cry like that again. However, you then decided that you were going to spit-up, projectile vomit and have LOTS of gas instead. I still knew something was wrong, but felt a little clueless because it was a little better. You just grinned and bared it!




 By your first week you were holding your head up so strong, many were impressed. We gave you a paci in the hospital because you were fussy at 2am. The nurses strongly advised against it, but we did it anyway. :) Bristol is all over you saying “Look at me baby brother, I’m your big sister!” She wants to care for him by helping a lot!! You are very lucky to have such a wonderful big sister.






By two weeks old you were giving me 5 hour stretches of sleep at night. Ahh.. they were amazing. You would cluster feed at night and eat between 8-10 ounces of milk between 7pm and 11pm. Those were the nights you would sleep the longest! You also love to be held. Since I had the moby because of your sis, you have lived in that thing. You love being close to my heart and snuggled up to my chest. I love it, too! Your gas and fussiness has subsided with the elimination of dairy, yay! Bristol is still all over you, but now making the comment “Mommy, Burke needs you a lot, huh?” She is so sweet, but I can tell she is figuring out this adjustment and realizes how much time you take. But, she still loves you and kisses you non stop!




When you were three weeks, you visited the hospital. It was the scariest moment of your mommy and daddy's life! But, you were okay and we were so relieved. After being pumped full of all of the antibiotics they gave you, we discovered you bacterial flora in your tummy was exacerbating your already upset tummy. I decided to start taking probiotics that would then transmit through my breastmilk and they seemed to help a lot. You are so smiley. You sleep a lot at night and during the day. It is wonderful!

   You are growing so much and we are so happy about that. At your 1 month appointment you weighed just over 10 lbs. You love to eat and you are eating a lot. Just at the end of this month you can focus your eyes and you are starting to follow us when we move in front of you. It is fun to see you develop.

   Burke, we love you dearly. You are such a wonderful baby boy. You have already taught us so much in your short time here, and I am sure you have much more to teach us. We cannot wait to spend more time with you and to watch you grown and learn.

Love always,
Mommy
Burke @ 1 month

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...