I have been trying hard to soak up these first 2 weeks of this sweet baby boy, for they go too fast and there is nothing like the first few weeks of a newborn. They are tiny, tiny and so sleepy. They are just there, figuring out their little body's and this new world. They gaze off into the distance, not noticing what is right in front of them. Sometimes I think they are so close to the vail that they can see right back to where they came from. I have been trying to be mindful and take a lot of picutres just like I did with Bristol, but this seems to be just as difficult as everyone said it would be. Being a new mother of 2, my hands are tied. Sam stayed home with us for most of this first week, but we knew he had to go back to work so he could take time off when I had to get back to clinical, which would be next Friday, 2 weeks postpartum.
This week, Burke and I have learned quite a bit about each other. On our second night home, Burke decided it was time to be fussy and cried straight from 9pm until 1am. I took him downstairs because this was the night before Sam would have to go back to work. I tried everything, from rocking, to the swing, to swaddling, I tried it all. Nothing helped. If it did help, it only lasted 10 minutes, then back to screaming crying. I felt so bad, but after about 2 hours of this, I let go. I decided nothing I did would help so I just held him and started researching! Come to find out, he is gassy and is having a hard time digesting the products that are in my milk. Also, he might have a little reflux. So, I did what I do and decided to make every change possible. I first decided I need to eliminate dairy. Then, I needed to breast feed on an incline and leave him inclined for 1/2 hour post-feed. The next day I did all of these things. The incline seemed to help and after a few days of no dairy, he seemed a little better. No crying for 5 hours at night, but he was spitting up everywhere and everything. Well, it seemed that way, I'm sure he was still holding some down. But, no crying! That was my main concern.
Burke was just like his sister and could hold his head up right away. I think the moment they are born laying on my chest they both held up their heads. It's pretty amazing. He has a lot of control over his head. Maybe it's because both of them have little heads (Thank goodness)? We gave Burke a paci in the hospital on day 2 because he was fussy at 1am and I wanted to sleep a little. The nurses gave me a little lecture on nipple confusion and with hesitancy handed over the paci. I wasn't worried, but I guess that's because Bristol had a paci early on and did fine. Who knows, my next might not do so well.
Here are some pictures of our week and one of Burke (1 week) with his elephant from Gracy and Papa.

No comments:
Post a Comment